Sunday, April 24, 2011

Barcode scanner!

I now own my very own barcode scanner! It's an Opticon my husband found for me on eBay; it looks similar to the white one here. (That's the same model; this one is refurbished though, so it's not as pretty.) I'd take a picture and post it, but I'm at work (on Easter, alas). It is basically the model we use at our Circ desk here.

I discovered when I went to start scanning books to test it that some paperbacks have a generic paperback UPC on the back cover, and an ISBN barcode on the inside front cover. For most of the books with barcodes that I tested, however, the barcode is the ISBN. I can scan straight into Excel.

Soon, goodreads, soon...

2 comments:

  1. That's great! How much do these run? I'm also using my laptop when I travel to our other campus and would like to know if it's compatible with a macbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if there are Mac drivers, but it was only $20 on eBay.

    ReplyDelete