Thursday, April 7, 2011

Continued blog observations (and another .opml)

I read a handful of heavily commented blogs regularly, and I also moderate an online forum, so I've been noticing how the different blog platforms handle comment threading.

Comment systems that allow replies to replies, threading the conversation, really help to foster discussion, since it's easy to tell who is talking to whom. With out the reply-to-comment, it can be more difficult to unravel the threads of the conversation. Thus far Blogger doesn't seem to do comment threading; WordPress does.

Seeing how different people name, design, and use their blogs for a shared purpose is fascinating! Which tools people choose, how they use them, and how they envision the relationships between themselves, their blogs, and the central purpose (the workshop) are all very interesting to me.

A large number of us are using Blogger, but WordPress is a significant minority (compared to a paltry number of Posterous and Edublogs users). A large number of us are using post on the left/menus on the right layouts, with a handful putting the menu-type items (archives, 'about me' sections, etc.) on the left or trying out the three-column options. I wonder if there's a correlation with something (like right-handed/left-handed), or if it's just because that's the layout most of the default templates suggest first.

Given how interesting all those things are to me, you'd think I would be better at filling out conference evaluations. *sigh*

And last but certainly not least: the .opml file for all the blogs added to the spreadsheet since I last looked at it. If I've missed any, please let me know! This is just the new ones, so you shouldn't have to worry about it accidentally importing duplicate feeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment