Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Goodreads, day 2

Hm, I deviated from my 3-5 page average yesterday and rambled on quite a bit.

I poked around goodreads a bit more since Polly friended me (thanks, Polly!), and I looked through all the friend suggestions it gave me (since now we had a friend in common). There were a lot of names I've seen from both this project and various mailing lists, which was a nice reminder that the library world has a 6-degrees-of-separation thing going on.

After looking through how the connections work, I went ahead and hooked up my Twitter account, since I can just push though status updates on books. The world will not have to suffer through an inundation of twenty-five or so years of reading. (Speaking of Twitter, after seeing the NASA pictures someone else linked for Thing 3, I added @NASA on Twitter. They're surprisingly chatty! Of course, they're in the run-up to a shuttle launch, as well.)

I added a profile picture; I didn't want to have to plug my camera in (I'm one of those people who doesn't delete pictures if they're not blurry and my camera isn't full), so I pulled the picture off my Facebook page. Facebook keeps changing how it displays pictures (now a slideshow type thing), so it took a little searching to find the "download" button. It's from last June, taken about 7:30 p.m. in front of the Lincoln Memorial with the Washington Monument behind us. The weather was awful - 90 degrees and very humid - and it reminded me of one of the reasons I'm not still living where I grew up (on the same latitude as DC). People kept offering to take pictures of us for us when they'd see us with me holding the camera out and trying to guesstimate whether we were in the shot. (My husband doesn't want pictures of him posted online, so I crop him out of stuff I post if we're both in it.)

Actually, thinking about the trip to DC reminds me that I should add The Guns of August to my books read - I got it in the bookstore in the central train station to read on the train that we were taking from our hotel in Alexandria into the center of the city. Barbara Tuchman was an amazing writer, and I wish she'd done a book on the entire war. Just getting the one August out of her left me wanting so much more.

For people still adding to RSS, here's a new .opml with all the currently added blogs. There's only been one new one since the last partial one I posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment